Am I the only one who didn't know that true strawberry shortcake is made with biscuits? I've tried it with sponge cake, angel food cake, and pound cake, but not biscuits...until now. Can I just say, that these are delicious! SOOOO much better than the usual shortcake.
(From the New Best Recipe cookbook)
8 C strawberries hulled
6 T sugar
2 C flour
5 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
8 T cold butter
1/2 C milk
1 egg white
2 C whipped cream.
1. Place 3 cups of the strawberries in a bowl and crush. Slice the remaining berries and stir into the crushed berries along with the 6 T sugar. Set aside for at least 30 min but no more than 2 hours.
2. Heat oven to 425.
3. In a food processor, mix the flour, 3 T sugar and the baking powder and salt.
4. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the flour mixture. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
5. Mix the egg with the milk and then pour into the flour/butter mixture. Combine with a rubber spatula until large clumps form. Turn onto a floured work surface and lightly knead until it comes together.
6. Pat into a 9 x 6-inch rectangle about 3/4 inch thick.
7. Cut with a 2 1/2 - 3" biscuit cutter.
8. Place the rounds into a 9"cake pan, brush the tops with the beaten egg white, and then sprinkle with the remaining 2 T sugar.
9. Bake until golden brown (12 - 14 min.) Place pan on wire rack and cool for about 10 min.
10. After cooling slightly, split biscuits in half, spread strawberry mixture on bottom half, then top with whip cream. Cap with the biscuit top and serve immediately.